Due to the current situation the coronavirus, social advice will take place by email or phone. If desired, advice can be provided by video via Zoom or What’s app, too. Please send me an e-mail with your number and in what period you would like an advice, I’ll be to call you back or send you the link for Zoom.

Advice in presence isn’t possible at the moment!

The Students of RUB who are unable to pay the semester contribution have the opportunity to apply for the semester contribution from 26.01.2022.

Due to Corona, the applications can currently only be submitted by email: sozbeitrag@asta-bochum.de. The Applications- forms will then be sent by email.

The deadline for apply is 25th February 2022!!!! Further information can be found in the

The AStA social advice is the first point of contact for every student who has questions about study financing and other social matters.

Otherwise, the social Advice offers the following services for RUB-students:

Laptop loan:

If you don’t have a working computer or laptop at home and you are in need, then you have the opportunity to borrow a laptop for a semester. However, the loan can be extended for further semester (max. two semesters).

Just send me an email and you’ll receive the application forms.

Scholarship for student (single) parents:

Student parents who are in the final phase of their studies can submit an application for a scholarship to the social advice. The scholarships are awarded by the association “Spielraum e.V.”, so that the social advice doesn’t decide on the approval.

The application link:


Aid fund for foreign students:

In addition, the social advice is the acceptance point for applications to the association “Help for foreign students in Bochum eV”. The association grants students, without German citizenship or equivalent under the European treaties, one-time support for living if they cannot afford it themselves.

The application forms can be requested by email.

The receiving office doesn’t decide whether to approve the applications. This is the task of the association’s board of directors. The processing time for this application is around one week.

Mensa Coins (Currently isn’t possible):

Students in need can also apply for Mensa Coins in order to get a warm lunch in the Mensa. In order to receive the Mensa Coins, a prior application to the social advice is required. The following documents are required:

  • Current certificate of study
  • Complete statements of all bank accounts for the last three months.
  • The sales overview is also accepted for the current month.

If the application has been approved, students only have to pay a small fee (max. 5 €) to receive the Mensa Coins.

Semester contribution:

RUB students who are unable to pay the semester contribution to re-register can apply for the contribution to be paid.

There are special application phases and extra opening times for the summer and winter semesters. These are specifically announced on the AStA’s homepage.

Further information on which documents are required for submitting an application, when the application deadlines are, and which other requirements must be met, etc., are published on the website.

Student parents who register at the Ruhr-Universität Bochum and who have to cover themselves financially at the beginning of their studies can apply for semester contributions.

Advice and applications can be carried out in German or in English. The social advice is located on the ground floor of the student house.

Please note the following:
Corona leaflet for students of the Ruhr Uni.


Antje Westhues
Studierendenhaus SH 018
Universitätsstraße 150
44801 Bochum

Phone: 0234/ 32 23 05 0
Mail: sozialberatung@asta-bochum.de

Office hours

The Social Advice will be closed from 30th August until 10th September.

Mondays from 11:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Wednesdays from 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Fridays from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.